A Guide to Removing Mould in the Bathroom

January 13, 2021 -

The bathroom is a humid, damp room and the fear of mould is always a real possibility. Since mould is not just something to get rid of once and forget about, you have to take measures to make sure that it stays away and doesn’t come back. If your bathroom walls or ceiling start to develop mould, getting rid of it quickly is a must because if this isn’t done, it can cause long-term structural damage to your home, and that can mean thousands of dollars’ worth of repairs and lots of headaches in the future. Fortunately, keeping your bathroom clean and mould-free is easier than you think, and you can choose from among several very simple remedies.

Make it Easy on Yourself

One of the easiest ways to get rid of mould is to get someone else to do it! Hire a professional house cleaners (like us!) is the easiest way to go. But if you really want to put in the elbow grease then mould removal involves a simple product that most people already have in their homes: vinegar. When you’re trying to get rid of mould with vinegar, all you have to do is place some in a spray bottle, spray the affected area, then leave it alone. It’s that simple. Vinegar never has to be diluted when you’re using it to get rid of mould and it doesn’t have to be wiped down afterwards, either. The only negative aspect to this process is the smell, but if you open your windows and wait around two hours, most of the smell will be gone.

If you absolutely hate the smell of the vinegar, just make a 2:1 vinegar and water solution and spray that instead of the straight vinegar solution. It may take just a tad longer to get rid of the mould, but it will still get rid of it easily.

Borax is another simple product to use, and you can usually find it in a grocery store near where the laundry detergents are. Just mix 204g (1 cup) of Borax with 3.8L (1 U.S. gallon), then apply it just as you would the straight vinegar. As with the vinegar, this solution does not have to be rinsed off or wiped down unless children or pets will be touching the affected surface. Keep in mind that Borax can be dangerous to consume, so always keep it away from children and pets.

Take the Necessary Precautions

If neither of these methods works, you can always use bleach as a last resort. Just mix one part bleach with ten parts water and use the solution as you would the vinegar or Borax solution. Bleach is only good for non-porous surfaces, but it will kill the mould there. Still, regardless of the product that you choose to use, always don a mask and protective gloves before you get started, especially when using Borax or bleach. This is critical because the fumes from some of these products can be unpleasant at best and potentially dangerous at worst. Bleach, in particular, can irritate your skin and even your lungs, so taking these precautions should never be considered an option but instead a necessity.

Learning how to remove mould is not complicated but the ingredients you use to accomplish this can be dangerous, so make sure that you follow these instructions to the letter so that you and everyone around you is safe.

Author Profile

Mark Wisken
Mark is a managing director at Optima Cleaners, but copywriting has been one of his passions for many years. When he's not hunched over his keyboard, you'll find Mark exploring quaint bookstores for inspiration or sipping espresso at his favorite local café, always on the hunt for the next big idea to ignite a brand's success. With a pen in one hand and a coffee cup in the other, Mark continues to captivate audiences and breathe life into every brand he touches.

Latest Blog Posts

View More